Friday, May 22, 2009

It's my blog, I can rant if I want to

I understand money woes. I understand budgeting. I understand sometimes doing without. I understand prioritizing. What I don't understand is people who publicly complain about NOT having money. NOT having opportunity. Simply NOT having enough...and then you look in their cart at the grocery store and it is loaded with chips, pop, deep fried breaded chicken strips, sugar laden drink crystals, chocolate bars and other pre-packaged, sodium filled "foods". To the tune of $258.00. Not a green leafy item in sight. I think I may have spotted a few bananas under several packages of licorice but I could have been mistaken. I know it is none of my business but I was flabbergasted. Feed your kids an apple please! Or buy whatever you want and DON'T complain about how you don't have enough. There are people who thrive on much, much less. Check out this amazing lady, I read her blog daily. Thanks for the inspiration Gayle!
And that is my rant of the day. I have a sick babe on my hands, an extra child for the weekend and an out of town husband. Wonderful scrap related topics to come next week. Enjoy your weekend and soak up the sun if it happens to make an appearance!

5 comments:

Julie Cortens said...

Hang in their Kate. This too shall pass.
I pray that out of his glorious riches he may strengthen you with power through his Spirit in your inner being, so that Christ may dwell in your heart through faith.
Ephesians 3:16 (NIV)
And may He get you through the weekend too! :)

Kate said...

Thanks Julie!!! Ephesians is one of my fave books. I myself am frugal and health minded. And I will shout it loud and proud. That's why I get SO frustrated when people deem these horrible things "needs". Terrible!

Julie Cortens said...

Oh I hear ya. There is a whole generation out there raised on junk and fast food who frequent expensive bars and then whine about not having any money. The convenience and sugar/fat is just too great a pull. Not sure what the answer is except to just keep the stuff out of our own homes and teach our children to be good stewards of every gift He has given us.
Keep on keepin on..and hope that baby is better soon. Nothing drains mom more than a sick babe.

Saucy said...

I agree... my friend from Minneapolis and I have discussed this often. She moved there from Calgary. She is just shocked at the grocery store! It's actually quite pricey to feed your family healthy food but if you do some planning it can be done well. Too much junk food out there.

Someone told me once (gosh it must have been Oprah now that I think about it) if you look in your grocery cart and you have boxes and sealed bags, your food is no good. Your food should be in paper wrappers (baked goods), temporarily wrapped (meat, fish, dairy and produce) but if it makes its way into a box you might want to rethink it! Good advice! I try to keep my eye on it.

Tonight I am preparing a whole chicken meal for the family. I thought of that new ad campaign for KFC, the "ten dollar chicken challenge" where they challenged a family to go to the grocery store and get what they needed to make a fried chicken at home with potatoes, gravy, coleslaw and drinks... of course it could not be done, proving that KFC is *supposedly* the way to go.

I think by the time I am finished the work of frying up this chicken and making salad, I will just be glad that I knew where it came from.

Kate said...

Testify Saucy girl! And "They" wonder why people have health issues. $10 KFC my left foot. You're just paying for clogged arteries! Good point about the sealed food. I am going to make note of how much is sealed in my cart next time. Of the top of my head I can think of pasta and cereal but I am sure there is more!